Hi Everyone and Welcome to My Blog,
I’ve been wanting a quick and easy project to insert into my sewing routine in between a finished quilt and the next one. I thought a while about what I wanted to do. It could be bag, pot holder, or garment. The garment won out this time. I am usually hesitant in making garments because when they go wrong it’s awful. This time I chose what I thought was a simple pattern. A light knit shirt that would be good for the warmer weather. I looked through my patterns and found this Simplicity pattern I never made during my garment sewing days. I thought the top in the middle looked very comfortable and just my easy style.
I went on a binge at Joann’s with my 55% off coupon, 40% off coupon, and 20% off entire purchase and spent a gob of money. I not only for supplies for this top, but also on some quilting do dad’s I’ve had my eye on. I don’t usually get my quilting fabric from there, but they do have plenty gadgets.
I picked up some knit fabric which is not the easiest fabric to work with but I do love the feel of it. I do have a Babyloc Imagine Serger that was given to me by my Mom. I’m told that it works better on knit fabrics than a regular sewing machine. There’s a strange story about this. She sent it in to a local sewing shop in Lafayette to have it serviced and the lady closed shop and took off with the machines. Mom did a police report but in the meantime she went purchase her another one. Six months or so later the police found the lady and she still had Mom’s machine and it was returned. So she had no use for it and gifted it to her wonderful daughter. Haha. I am eternally grateful.
I pinned the pattern on Mother’s Day and then took a break to have a brunch with her and Dad. They stopped by my house for further visiting. She saw the fabric and pattern laid out on my island and proceeded to help me cut it out. There was a lot of holding the fabric in place so it wouldn’t slide off the sides and stretch out of shape. There again, grateful for my Mom.
I used some stay tape on the shoulder seams so it would hold up the weight of the shirt and not distort out of shape. I used the serger on that and it went well. Next in the process was to set the neck-band. I had to stretch the neck line as instructed in the pattern to fit the neck band. That process was easier with four hands and this time I had my husband help. Not as grateful of him as my Mom. He complained the WHOLE five minutes it took. I think he wanted to be working outside in his shop and I was in the way. After I got it pinned in, it went on pretty easily. I didn’t use the serger on this part. The instructions call for two seams in the allowance and then one top stitch on the outside to hold the allowance down. I was afraid the serger would cut off too much of the allowance and I wouldn’t be able to work with it after.
The next step was the sleeves. Sleeves are one of those things I don’t fancy doing. Sometimes they could be difficult to set in. I called Mom again for advice. She reminded me of the technique where you set the sleeves before you sew your side seams. It makes it easier to ease them in while the fabric can still be laid out flat. It worked wonderfully.
Once I sewed the sleeves to the shirt then all I had to do is sew up the sides. I used the serger for this and it zipped right together. You just make a continuous seam from the bottom of the shirt all the way to the end of the sleeve. Ta da.
I still have the hemming to do but otherwise it’s all done. I should be able to complete this over the weekend and have a new shirt to wear next week.
Now I’m going back to a quilt project. I’ve been working on my disappearing hour glass blocks a little at a time and I’m nearly done. Come back and see my progress soon.
The linky parties I usually participate in can be found by clicking this link. Please visit them and see what others are up to. There are many bloggers out there who share their tips, projects, and tutorials to inspire us.
That’s all for now. Thanks for stopping by.